Access Group Home
Our Annual General Meeting is tol be held on 13th May 2013 at 2PM in the Riverside Civic Centre, Stafford. All are welcome to attend.
Welcome to the website of the Stafford &District Access Group - SDAG. This site aims to provide our visitors with vital information about us and the work that we do, so that we may better promote our activities and encourage local businesses and organisations to take greater responsibility for access.
- A local group covering the Borough of Stafford (including Stone) within the County of Staffordshire
- we are volunteer members who want to improve life for those of us who need dignified access to Town Centres, Shops, Offices and Government Buildings as well as Parks and the Countryside.
- Working to achieve better access for everybody
- Identifying issues within the existing roadways, pavements and crossings
- Providing surveys and recommendations to improve buildings
- Facilitating the development of access initiatives within the district
- We ask for no more than the right to be enabled to enjoy life, just like anyone else.
The Social Model of Disability underpins our Organisation’s whole ethos.
We work with disabled people, businesses, architects and designers, the public sector and the voluntary and community sector in the Stafford Borough Area and elsewh ere.
Our Aims are
- to improve access for all - including those pushing wheelchairs and prams, on crutches and sticks and those vulnerable people who need all the help they can get.
- To ensure as far as practicable that public and private buildings, recreational facilities, streets and shopping precincts are accessible for disabled people to use.
- To consider the needs of Disabled People in the area and examine the facilities available for them.
- To encourage and advise on ways and means to improve access to meet the needs of all forms of disability.
- To bring together the interests of the various groups working for disabled people in the area.
- To refer the local needs of disabled people to statutory and voluntary bodies to elicit help.
- To heighten awareness of the continuing needs for disabled people to contribute in full measure to society.
- To advise Staffordshire County & Stafford Borough Councils and other interests in the area in providing appropriate facilities for disabled people.
We promote best practice in accessible and inclusive design and access standards through:
- Encouraging Access Audits & Access Surveys
- Support for the development of Disability Equality Schemes, including impact assessment, information gathering, consulting with disabled people, access audits
- Contributions to Consultations
- Advice on consulting with disabled people
- Advice and Awareness Raising
- Providing Information for organisations & companies on access auditing for disabled people
- Provision of information on the Disability Discrimination Act, Building Regulations, planning guidance and best practice access standards.
- Active involvement with other disabled people's organisations and with the voluntary and community sector
- Campaigns:We are involved in a number of campaigns. For more information, contact us on (01785) 605187
Can Stafford Access Group help me?
If you are unable to obtainappropriate access to a building or service, then we may be able to assist you in liasing with the appropriate authorities in order to help to resolve the issue.
If you have an interest in public access issues as they affect the lifestyles and choices of people with disabilities, you are welcome to join us at our meetings. We actively encourage interested members of the community to join the Group to develop an effective force to promote access and equality throughout the Stafford Borough Area .
Our meetings are held at the Civic Offices at Riverside Centre Stafford on the second Monday of every second month at 2:00 pm.
If you wish to get involved or attend one or more of our meetings please do not hesitate to contact us.
Membership is open to all.